If you are like me and use CBT (which I imagine you do) then I hope you will find this very helpful. The Medical University of North Carolina and the National Child Traumatic Stress Network have put together a CEU accredited 10 hour FREE online training on Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT). The online training can be found at their website: http://tfcbt.musc.edu/index.php . It does take a full day to complete the training, so this isn’t a skip through a bunch of pages and get your certificate kind of deal. I have used this curriculum in a residential and school environment with success.
Other TF-CBT resources are listed below. Let me know if you have take the training or used it in your work before.
The Manual :
(includes printable UCLA PTSD Child, Adolescent, and Parent Index for DSM-IV- a PTSD Assessment)
FREE TF-CBT Workbook:
Treating PTSD and Behavioral Issues using TF-CBT:
(on page 7 there is a very simple behavior management outline/plan that would be great to use with parents)
Play and TF-CBT:
This gives very specific examples of play therapy techniques that can go with various phases. I was not aware of all of these and did some research to find an explanation for as many as I can find- IF YOU KNOW THE ONES I COULD NOT FIND- PLEASE SHARE! See my Play Therapy Resource Library Post here.
It also suggests using the Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL). It is long and scoring is not a breeze but does give you a good overall view of problems and progress. More info can be found here: www.aseba.org/
Sexual Abuse Play Therapy Exercises/Powerpoint from Lowenstein:
Play Therapy, TF-CBT with Maltreated Children:
TF-CBT CEU approvals:
- Approval-SC Board of Social Work Examiners
- Approval-SC Board of Examiners in Psychology
- Approval-SC Board of LPCs, MFTs, & Psycho-Ed Specialists – #433
- Approval-PA-The Medical University of South Carolina is a pre-approved CEU provider under Section 47.36. Professional and Vocational Standards, State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors.
- Providership #886453433 NASW
- Providership #50-6856 FL – Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling
- Providership PCE#4226 California Board of Behavioral Sciences, MFTs and LCSWs
- State of Oklahoma Board of Examiners of Psychologists approved CTGWeb for continuing professional education credits for psychologists.